From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2017 15:28:09
1 On Friday, January 6, 2017 11:43:05 AM EST Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > Am Donnerstag, 5. Januar 2017, 16:02:57 CET schrieb Matthew Thode:
3 > > I think that this brings us more in line with the legal realities of
4 > > running a distro like this. We may want to be separate but don't think
5 > > that's actually the case. So we should stop pretending we are separate.
6 >
7 > Well, that would probably merit looking around how other distros are
8 > working.
9 >
10 > Without doing any detailed research, I'd say
11
12 Some of us have done extensive research on this topic. Starting back in
13 2007-08. There are lots of examples out there. Not to mention aware of the
14 legalities and what it will take to accomplish aspects.
15
16 Since I get no credit for it I mention it routinely. Fact is I did get the
17 Foundation reinstated, a bank account, and revised draft by laws so they were
18 adopted. That is tremendously more than most anyone else has done, short of
19 Robin/robbat2 reconciling the books. Annual filings with NM is minor once
20 reinstated. But filings with the IRS were never done, and that is being worked
21 on now.
22
23 Fact is I did more for the Foundation on major legal matters than anyone else
24 before or since. Short of Daniel doing the initial foundation filing. Pretty
25 sad I was not able to do more, driven away. Much less how I am still treated
26 and seen. Pretty disrespectful all around, on top of no credit or thanks for
27 such tasks. Which were not trivial, and no one else ever stepped up.
28
29 > * OpenSuSE, Fedora: "community branch" of a commercial enterprise
30 > * Debian, Arch: via umbrella company (SPI)
31
32 While the SPI has many benefits one major draw back that does not work for many
33 is having a SINGLE liaison. You can look in -nfp archives from 2007-08 on SPI.
34 There were discussions. The having a SINGLE liaison and no options for more
35 had opposition. Plus there can be other negatives, have to weigh the pros and
36 cons.
37
38 There are many more that are not under organizations like the SPI. The larger
39 ones with corporate involvement tend to be run directly. Running things
40 directly has some benefits as well. Gentoo could have a mix of paid and
41 volunteer staff just like many non profit organizations, including FreeBSD and
42 others.
43
44 I have long felt there are areas of Gentoo that could really benefit from paid
45 effort. Things like a news letter. I am not talking full time or major pay.
46 Just some compensation to make efforts worth while, and help motivate for more
47 chore type tasks that are beneficial.
48
49 I think everyone liked the Gentoo Weekly and then Monthly news letters.
50
51 Also keep in mind in saying such. I have no intention to pay myself and I
52 never did. I removed provisions from the draft by laws that allowed Trustees
53 to pay themselves. Thus any pay would be more for "staff" type positions.
56 William L. Thomson Jr.