From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, Gentoo Council <council@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for Agenda Items -- Council Meeting 2015-10-11
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 21:05:29
1 On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 4:36 PM, Andreas K. Huettel
2 <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 >> > e) Since per GLEP 39 only developers can be project members, let's
5 >> > introduce "contributors" which are listed on the wiki project page
6 >> > together with the members.
7 >>
8 >> This doesn't solve the problem with developers who don't want to use
9 >> SMW.
10 >
11 > I just plainly dont care beyond a certain level of obstructiveness.
14 So, I'm still not a huge fan of using the wiki as the source of this
15 info, but frankly I could care less whether a few devs don't want to
16 use it. I fully support the Social Contract and FOSS-tools only, but
17 if you're going to start getting picky beyond that then you're on your
18 own.
19
20 Not using the wiki because it as a PITA to utilize in this manner is a
21 great argument. Not using the wiki because I can't be bothered to
22 sign up for an account is not. As far as I'm concerned, let's stick
23 to the former line.
24
25 Along this line, here are some pros/cons I can see:
26 XML file (or other popular markup format)
27 - Can be stored in vcs
28 - No inherent mechanism to prevent invalid files from being stored,
29 distributed, etc, but files can be validated easily.
30 - Can be synced and parsed offline
31 - Libraries to parse xml have probably been ported to the PDP11, your
32 microwave, your car's ECU, the lunar lander, and more exotic cases
33 like C, python, Java, etc.
34 - Doesn't tie identity/authentication to specification
35 - Never "goes down"
36 - Still readable in 100 years
37 - Requires a separate distribution mechanism, but not necessarily
38 limited to a particular mechanism
39 Wiki
40 - Easier for non-devs to edit should this become desirable at some point
41 - Nice presentation comes along for free
42 - Editor that enforces correct syntax comes along for free.
43 - Ties identity/authentication to specification (maybe you could argue
44 this is a pro and a con)
45 - Distribution is part of the solution
48 Rich