From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-project] Date-of-birth in developer applications
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 08:16:10
1 Hello, everyone.
2
3 I'd like to revive the topic of requiring date-of-birth for developers.
4 Currently, we 'require' this date in developer applications and store it
5 in our LDAP (it's not public). However, I'm not aware of any good
6 justification for collecting this kind of personal information.
7
8 The Trustees are apparently 'researching' the topic since at least
9 Feb 2017 [1], and haven't reached anything yet [2]. In the meantime,
10 applicants are asked to provide their DoB with no clear explanation why
11 they need to do that or how it's going to be used (the last part of dev
12 quiz [3]).
13
14 So unless someone can provide *a really good reason* to request this
15 kind of information, I'd like to propose that we remove the question
16 from the developer quiz, and remove collected birthday dates from LDAP.
17
18 What do you think?
19
20 [1]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Meetings/2017/02#prometheanfire