From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: hwoarang@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2012/2013 election
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2012 18:03:59
1 On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 20:59:21 +0100
2 Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I would like to nominate the following people (grab a pen):
5 >
6 > mgorny
7
8 I think I will have the necessary time this year, so I accept.
9
10 My manifest follows:
13 There are three things I believe in when it comes to Gentoo:
14
15 1) The KISS principle. I believe that we should try hard at least not
16 to make things overcomplicated. Even better, we should find the things
17 that are too complex now, and try to make them simpler. Sometimes that
18 requires sacrifices.
19
20 For example, I believe that packing too much features into an eclass is
21 a bad idea. If a particular feature is to be used by two or three
22 packages, it's usually better to just put that in the ebuilds itself
23 rather than adding a bunch of code to eclass used by 100 other packages.
26 2) That users are more important than developers. Although in Gentoo
27 that line is quite blurry, let's be honest: without users, what would
28 we need developers for? I believe we should first think about making
29 things more friendly to users, then about making them easier for devs.
30 Not the other way around.
31
32 Example: we should try to split packages whenever possible rather than
33 abusing USE flags. User not having to rebuild a large package just to
34 enable a tiny GUI counterpart is a real benefit, even if it means that
35 the developer will have to maintain two packages rather than one.
38 3) That history should not stand in the way of improvement. I'm not
39 saying that keeping something as-is is bad. I'm just saying that
40 'historical reasons' are no argument, and we should be ready to
41 reconsider past decisions and improve, if that could benefit either
42 users or developers.
43
44 And I hope the git migration will have its place in this year's Council
45 tasks.
48 Best regards,
49 Michał Górny