From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: Re: A proposal to get out of this mess
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 13:08:24
1 George Prowse wrote:
2 > Steve Long wrote:
3 >> drobbins' offer left a nasty taste in my mouth: one week, all his own
4 >> appointees, no information (beyond: "expect big changes"), no discussion.
5 >>
6 >> Er, no thanks?
7 >>
8 >> Maybe that's cos he's frustrated and doesn't want to waste time; it's
9 >> just not the kind of ultimatum I personally would ever accept. And since
10 >> we haven't had a Foundation since last summer, I really don't see the
11 >> need to be bullied into accepting.
12 >>
13 > I'd never heard about his offer until I got the previous email through
14 > and it seems very drastic and extremely unlikely that anyone will give
15 > it the time of day.
16 >
17 Exactly: it's too drastic and sudden; all-or-nothing, now-or-never.
18
19 > I dont see what would really change though, Gentoo needs a president
20 > type and he seems like the only logical candidate.
21 >
22 Does it? Seems to me like there are a few Napoleons around ;-) I'd still
23 love it if he were back on-board ofc, but I really don't understand why
24 anyone would want to cave in to these demands. Grow a pair, ffs!
25
26 > I also can't see why people would be worried about taking up his offer,
27 > I mean I can't see anything radical that would different apart from the
28 > management structure and that would result in some developers losing
29 > their ability to exert control over various parts.
30 >
31 Well technically the Foundation used to be legal title-holder to all Gentoo
32 assets. He's talking about the Trustees exerting control over the
33 developers, which is something it was explicity set up not to do; the
34 Council are the ultimate authority for all developers. So in a sense he's
35 trying to take control over the whole thing (even though it would be a new
36 legally disjoint entity) in one swoop. Some people will applaud that,
37 others not. *shrug*
38
39 The SFC thing is far more like the old Foundation tbh. Only they have
40 professional admins, accountants and lawyers. ;)
41
42 > At the very least I would only consider his offer when I had some sort
43 > of information on the offer. Negotiations are whats needed, not an
44 > instant accept/decline
45
46 Yeah, only he explicitly rules out any negotiation and set a very tight
47 deadline to accept or refuse. I pleaded with him to change only the terms
48 (no discussion/deadline and all his appointees) believe it or not. meh.
49 "Railroading" is the only term that seems apt to me.
53 gentoo-project@l.g.o mailing list