From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] The mis-concept of "slacking" in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 00:01:52

On 06/16/10 06:48, Alec Warner wrote:
>> When you are active in Gentoo during one week and less active during the >> next it may happen that people (sometimes jokingly) call you a >> "slacker". This pattern seems to have become common enough that people >> even started calling themselves slackers when they are less active than >> potentially possible. Is this reasonable and healthy? >> >> No, it isn't. > > Why is it unhealthy?
I believe it's unhealthy because it's using guilt as a tool. Also, it's inverting being a developer from doing something to not not doing something: inverting being good to not being evil. That's two different things. It's fine to me to beg people to fix certain things and remind them from time to time. Calling people slackers seems respectless to me, though. Everyone is free to do work on Gentoo or not: Gentoo is about choice.
> I would hesitate to make the assertion that every minute spent on > Gentoo is a gift. You are not counting the people who do not always > have a positive impact on the community (see the other thread where > you brought up CoC violations and other 'gifts' of community members.)
That's a difficult one: I would say it's a gift as long as intentions are good from an ethic(?) point of view.
> Do you disagree with the policy that council members should attend the > meetings? If so why? If not, what is wrong with the existing policy; > the wording?
It would be good if they joined the meeting, yes. I don't believe anyone needs to be burned or marked a slacker, though, if he doesn't attend. To me the remaining attendees should be able to decide without him (unless quorum(?) has been rejected earlier).
> I am unsure what you are actually asking to change. Are you aiming to > change developer behavior? Tools? Processes?
I'm asking for a change in thinking and processes. I hope to have made my point a bit more clear. Best, Sebastian