From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2017 00:51:43
1 On Sun, Dec 3, 2017 at 7:37 PM, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > With gentoo being a non-profit organization, an alternative way to
4 > view it could be the trade-off of seeing developers / maintainers /
5 > staff leave
6
7 It isn't just the risk of leaving, but the risk of them never joining
8 in the first place.
9
10 If a flamewar goes back and forth, then it creates an environment
11 where only people who like to participate in flamewars will want to
12 join (thus creating a positive feedback loop).
13
14 If a troll periodically posts and everybody ignores them, then it
15 creates an environment where it seems as if the developers ignore the
16 users (an outsider could mistake trolling for questions/feedback), and
17 thus people will assume it is a toxic environment and not want to
18 join.
19
20 While I'm sure toxic coworkers are a problem in any organization, I
21 suspect they're far more impactful when the organization effectively
22 broadcasts their activity to the entire world.
23
24 I'm all for free expression. That doesn't mean that Gentoo needs to
25 expend its resources to broadcast messages that actually harm Gentoo,
26 or provide a platform for people who have done egregious things (like
27 unwanted gender-based attention, attacking people over disabilities,
28 or whatever), whether the victims of such activities have been dragged
29 through the mud publicly or not.
32 Rich