From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Deferred decision: Forums (specifically OTW)
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 12:33:03
1 On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 8:16 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > But if I were to consider your question more deeply, then I believe
4 > there are differences:
5 >
6 > 1) ...On Forums, the best
7 > *I* can do (as regular developer) is point out the mistake in a reply
8 > and hope that user reads it before applying a bad idea presented
9 > earlier.
10
11 I think the -user list suffers from some of the same issue.
12
13 These sorts of forums can seem "democratic" but often I see 12 people
14 going on and on about a really bad solution, and some dev can point
15 out the right solution, and often the other 12 just ignore it and keep
16 going on about the bad solution. So, everybody gets an equal vote and
17 competency tends to get drowned out.
18
19 If anything the forums are a little better in this regard in that the
20 devs at least get more obvious flair. There is also the potential for
21 moderation to deal with this but in practice I don't think we're doing
22 that. Some kind of "approved answers" feature might create more value
23 in the forums.
24
25 Really though I think users also have to accept responsibility to some
26 degree. If you go with the popular vote and ignore the minority voice
27 that happens to have a dev flair or an @g.o email you're probably
28 going to have issues. I don't think devs need to feel obligated to
29 offer paths forward for whatever breakage users create by following
30 bad advice.
31
32 And of course we have the issue that most devs don't have time to
33 handhold everybody, and part of the cost of accepting free help with
34 support is that you are going to have varying levels of expertise.
35
36 Personally I don't have an issue with having Forums - I think they're
37 a mode of communication that has certain advantages as well as
38 disadvantages. My issue is more with the fact that we are tending to
39 get some kind of schism in the community along with them, in part
40 because there isn't universal agreement around certain values (not
41 just the CoC though that is part of it).
44 Rich