From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Shutting down the Off the Wall (was: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items ...)
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 09:19:57
1 On 2020.12.12 14:47, Aaron Bauman wrote:
4 > On December 12, 2020 8:24:44 AM EST, Roy Bamford
5 > <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
6 > >On 2020.12.12 12:07, Andreas K. Hüttel wrote:
7 > >> > I have a major concern with the concept of the council
8 > >> > deciding to close any part of the forum. Its like this ...
9 > >> > At present, Gentoo is a common carrier, like the mail.
10 > >> > The content of letters and parcels is of little concern to the
11 > >> > carrier.
12 > >> >
13 > >> > Gentoos status could be changed by a council decision to
14 > >> > close any part of the forum from common carrier to publisher,
15 > >> > were the council seen to be exercising editorial control.
16 > >> > Being a publisher makes Gentoo liable for the published
17 > >> > content. Gentoo could not run the forums at all under those
18 > >> > conditions.
19 > >>
20 > >> This is misinformation at best, and deliberate confusion sowing at
21 > >> worst.
22 > >>
23 > >> I assume that you're talking about the US legal situation. [#]
24 > >>
25 > >
26 > ><snip totally irrelevant material>
27 > >
28 > >> [...]
29 > >> ====================
30 > >> https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/230
31 > >>
32 > >> Cheers.
33 > >>
34 > >>
35 > >>
36 > >
37 > ><snip references>
38 > >
39 > >>
40 > >>
41 > >> --
42 > >> Andreas K. Hüttel
43 > >> dilfridge@g.o
44 > >> Gentoo Linux developer
45 > >> (council, qa, toolchain, base-system, perl, libreoffice)
48 > >Rule 1 is never assume.
49 > >That makes the rest of your post irrelevant.
50 > >
51 > >In the UK, which selfishly, is all that matters to me, if I compile
52 > >and edit a community newsletter, I'm the publisher, with all the
53 > >liabilities
54 > >of a publisher. Like, say, the News of the World. I have editorial
55 > >control and am liable for the content.
56 > >
57 > >When someone distributes that same newsletter by putting it
58 > >through the village letterboxes, they have no liability for the
59 > >content.
60 > >
61 > >In the same vein, is the council accidentality, through ignorance or
62 > >otherwise, in danger of making Gentoo a publisher, with all the
63 > >attached liability for content?
64 > >
65 > >I don't know the answer either.
66 > >
67 > >Oh, the News of the World folded after a lawsuit related to an
68 > >article it published.
69 >
70 > This doesn't correlate. The problem is and has been, the content is
71 > not aligned with our community values and standards.
72 >
73 > Simple enough. No need for legal shenanigans, liability, etc.
74 >
75 > --
76 > Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
81 0/20 for answering a question I didn't ask and not addressing the
82 one I did.
83
84 Care to try addressing the liability question?
85 I don't care about the US or from 1-Jan-21, the EU.
86
87 I'm in the UK so that's the jurisdiction that applies to me.
90 Regards,
91
92 Roy Bamford
93 (Neddyseagoon) a member of