From: Alexey Lapitsky <lex.public@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Official rsync->git mirror & 'Git mirror' project announcement
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 16:22:27
1 Hi Rich,
2
3 I'm sorry if I don't understand the cherry-picking workflow very well,
4 I'm not a gentoo dev myself.
5 Correct me if I'm wrong, but in my opinion it's very valuable to save
6 maintainer time and I don't see a lot of value in doing manual
7 cherry-picking to cvs (given that QA tests pass automatically and
8 there is no conflicts).
9
10 Here's a naive example how it might work:
11
12 1. A user creates a PR
13 2. travis-ci automatically runs QA tests: repoman full on the PR,
14 reports the result back
15 3. Github hook is emitted, a "system" does some processing: for
16 example, create a bug in bugzilla, notify the maintainer, comment on
17 the PR
18 4. The relevant maintainer checks the PR, comments: "looks fine, merging"
19 5. Github hook is emitted to "the system", which checks the PR
20 comments, does some sanity checks, merges commit back to cvs, rejects
21 the PR
22
23 "The system" might be a simple script which has opt-in membership for
24 the subsystems / maintainers who wants to use it.
25
26 Does it sound sane?