From: Aisha Tammy <gentoo.project@×××××.cc>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] 'Gentoo in 2020' summary
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2021 23:58:58
1 On 1/3/21 3:34 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2021-01-03 at 14:48 -0500, Aisha Tammy wrote:
3 >> On 1/3/21 3:35 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
4 >>> Hi, everyone.
5 >>>
6 >>> I think it would be really great if we could publish a summary of
7 >>> (good) things that happened in Gentoo in 2020. We weren't able to
8 >>> maintain Gentoo Weekly Newsletter, nor Monthly. However, we might be
9 >>> able to manage at least a yearly Newsletter ;-).
10 >>>
11 >>> I know I'm going to regret this but I volunteer to take care of
12 >>> combining and publishing the data. Nevertheless, I'd really appreciate
13 >>> if you could reply to this mail with ideas of what you think would be
14 >>> worth listing. I'd also use a native English speaker for editorial
15 >>> help.
16 >>>
17 >>>
18 >>> Please reply with your ideas in the form of:
19 >>>
20 >>> [sort-key] **A short sentence summarizing the change.** 1-3 sentences
21 >>> of detailed explanation.
22 >>>
23 >>> I think we'll publish this on the website, so please use Markdown
24 >>> and possibly link to the relevant projects. The idea is that the users
25 >>> can skim through the changes in bold, and decide whether they want to
26 >>> read on.
27 >>>
28 >>>
29 >>> Example:
30 >>>
31 >>>   [dist-kernel] **The [Distribution Kernel](https://...) project was
32 >>> launched to install kernels directly from ebuilds.** To lower
33 >>> the entry barrier and maintenance effort, the project also provides
34 >>> a stock configuration for popular architectures based on Fedora.
35 >>>
36 >>>
37 >>> I think we'll then split it into a few groups. I'm thinking of:
38 >>>
39 >>> 1. New developers (yay!).
40 >>> 2. Major changes (focused on things impacting end users).
41 >>> 3. Other changes.
42 >>>
43 >>>
44 >>> WDYT?
45 >>>
46 >>
47 >> Getting the science overlay into a much better and almost usable
48 >> state. There are now enthusiastic people who are starting
49 >> to contribute to the overlay and adding a lot of fixes.
50 >> So I'd say, getting a new life for the science project is also
51 >> something nice that has happened :D
52 >>
53 >> Special thanks to chymera and andrew for being super enthusiastic
54 >> in fixing the overlay :D
55 >
56 > I do appreciate it but I'm not sure if this is something specific
57 > enough to be mentioned in 'major changes'. I'll see how other things
58 > go and we'll see then. However, if you have something more specific
59 > like 'we added these super useful packages' or stuff like that, I think
60 > it would be more interesting PR-wise.
63 Ah, my brain glossed over the *impacting end users* part :P
64 Yes, this is not a good fit for that, my bad.
65
66 Aisha