From: Alex Alexander <wired@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] gentoo dev map info
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 10:00:13
1 On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 10:18:40AM +0200, Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > On 02/23/2011 01:29 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday, February 22, 2011 18:16:12 Sebastian Pipping wrote:
4 > >> On 02/22/2011 10:54 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
5 > >>> for you wankers
6 > >>
7 > >> come on, this is public mailing list.
8 > >
9 > > then publicly, emerge a sense of humor. you wanker.
12 > Here (Finland) wanker as directly translated is in the same category as
13 > asshole. I would avoid humor that's heavily tied to culture/context on
14 > our public mailing lists as people tend to remember negative things more
15 > than the positive.
16
17 Yes, some types of humor should be avoided to prevent cultural
18 misunderstandings. That said, we do need to be a bit more open-minded,
19 trying to accept humor we don't understand instead of immediately
20 condemning it.
21
22 We should not forget that we are a group of people working together, not
23 against each other. This allows us to treat things we don't understand
24 as well-intentioned unless proven otherwise, instead of the other way
25 around.
26
27 That way we can improve our public image and users are less likely to
28 get the wrong impression and/or get offended :)
29 --
30 Alex Alexander | wired
31 + Gentoo Linux Developer
32 ++ www.linuxized.com