From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] my 2014-2015 council manifesto
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 01:08:32
1 All,
2
3 here is my manifesto; it is similar to my previous manifestos.
4
5 1. I believe the council should only be asked to make a decision on an
6 issue when the issue cannot be settled by the community itself. As it
7 has been said by others, the council should do what it can to stay out
8 of the way of innovations, which should come from the developers.
9
10 2. When the council is asked to make a decision, it should be fully
11 informed about both sides of the issue before it votes. On the other
12 hand, the council should not block progress by taking an extremely long
13 time to make a decision.
14
15 3. I believe we can learn from the past, and improve upon it. Continuing
16 to do things like we have in the past is not a bad thing in itself.
17 However, using what we have done in the past to block innovation can be.
18 I understand that people are used to doing things a certain way. However,
19 that alone is not justification for continuing to do things the same way
20 in the future. if we need to make a change, we should make sure that
21 change is backward compatible with what we have, or if this is not
22 possible, provide the smoothest possible transition for our users.
23 Since the council doesn't maintain all of the packages, the council is
24 not going to know the technical details of how to make either of these
25 happen, so I don't feel that the council should mandate specific
26 implementations.
27
28 Thanks,
29