From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] ChangeLog generation: Edit generated Changelogs
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 17:10:45
1 On 19-09-2011 19:58:52 +0300, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > > What's the advantage of that? We just end up with a different
3 > > location for the information that's now in a file called ChangeLog.
4 > > People want to be able to edit that stuff (yeah, no vote yet, but
5 > > the tendency seemed going that way) so why not keep it local to the
6 > > ebuild?
7 > Well it seems to me that most people want the simplest solution which
8 > is "if the changelog is wrong so be it"
9
10 That includes me, but that doesn't get us further. :)
11
12 > >> In this case you need smart filtering tools to avoid duplicate
13 > >> messages ( one from $commit_message and the one you wrote
14 > >> yourself to fix that message ). However, this will be the case if
15 > >> we decide to allow edits on ChangeLogs.
16 > >
17 > > Ehm. Are we talking about the same thing here? ChangeLog commits
18 > > don't end up in ChangeLogs, do they?
19 > What is a "Changelog commit"? How is that different from echangelog
20 > "Fix previous changelog entry" + repoman commit -m "Changelog Fixed".
21 > Could you please explain me the changelog edit mechanism you have in mind?
22
23 $EDITOR ChangeLog && repoman commit -m "added bugref"
24
25 (side-note: I don't see the point of your echangelog usage for this case)
29 Fabian Groffen
30 Gentoo on a different level