From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: Gentoo project list <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: comrel <comrel@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: comrel changes
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 22:06:39
1 On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 12:13 PM Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
5 > On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 8:18 AM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
6 >>
7 >> All,
8 >>
9 >> I realize that comrel is a thankless job, but it is an important one
10 >> that helps preserve the health of the community.
11 >>
12 >> To facilitate this, I think we need to have some changes in the way comrel
13 >> operates, so I would like to propose them here to see what other folks think.
14 >>
15 >> Since comrel is a special TLP like QA, I think the comrel lead, like
16 >> the qa lead, should be confirmed by the council.
17 >>
18 >> When an issue is filed with comrel, the issue should be addressed
19 >> within a reasonable time frame. As someone who has filed issues, I have
20 >> seen them sit for months with no action taken.
21 >> With all respect to comrel, this is unacceptable. You have a published
22 >> policy for how you will process issues, so follow it. If you don't, it
23 >> is very upsetting for users/developers who reach out to you for
24 >> assistance, weakens your credibility, and by extension negatively affects the
25 >> reputation of the entire Gentoo community.
26 >>
27 >> To promote more transparency with comrel, I would like to
28 >> require the comrel lead to send a report to the gentoo-project list monthly
29 >> containing these statistics for the previous month:
30 >>
31 >> - number of bugs received
32 >> - number of bugs pending (this is for bugs that are currently in process)
33 >> - number of bugs resolved by actions (such as talking to
34 >> developers or disciplinary action)
35 >> - number of bugs closed without action
36 >>
37 >> - number of mediation requests received
38 >> - number of mediation requests resolved
39 >> - number of mediation requests escalated to bugs
40 >> - number of mediation requests dismissed without action
41 >>
42 >> The comrel lead should be replaced if this report is not sent for three
43 >> consecutive months.
44 >>
45 >> What do others think?
48 > I'm a little bit concerned that this addresses the symptoms instead of the problem. Have you shared your concerns with comrel regarding their lack of timely communication on reported issues? Do they even share the same goals you enumerated?
49 >
50 > My strawperson argument is that:
51 > - (0) The council will elect some lead.
52 > - The lead will never write reports (or write them but stop.)
53 > - The lead will get removed per policy.
54 > - Council will elect a new lead.
55 > - GOTO 0
56 >
57 > This isn't to say I dislike the concept of publishing transparency report (I do like it) but I'm not sure a report completely solves the problems that comrel actually faces today and I'd be interested to learn more about
60 I've discussed it with William (and am a member of ComRel). The hope
61 is that transparency reports will dissuade ComRel from ignoring
62 reports.
63
64 I've heard from other ComRel members in favor as well, FWIW.
65
66 I think we're entirely open to suggestions.