From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] With regard to udev stabilization
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 12:03:14
1 On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 7:15 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 05:07:26PM +0800, Ben de Groot wrote:
3 >> On 13 November 2012 10:40, Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> > Dear Everyone,
6 >> >
7 >> > It is no secret that many of us are unhappy with the direction that udev
8 >> > has taken under the leadership of the systemd developers. That includes
9 >> > Linus Torvalds, who is 'leery of the fact that the udev maintenance
10 >> > seems to have gone into some "crazy mode" where they have made changes
11 >> > that were known to be problematic, and are pure and utter stupidity.'
12 >> >
13 >> > https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/2/505
14 >> >
15 >> > After speaking with several other Gentoo developers that share Linus'
16 >> > concerns, I have decided to form a team to fork udev. Our plan is to
17 >> > eliminate the separate /usr requirement from our fork, among other
18 >> > things. We will announce the project later this week.
19 >> >
22 >> I applaud this initiative. I would recommend you contact, and try to work
23 >> together with, the existing fork of udev, which is available in layman's
24 >> udev overlay. There is a corresponding thread on our forums.
25 >
26 > I already tried to open a dialog with these guys; they seem pretty
27 > hostile; another "our way or the highway" approach seemed to be going on
28 > there [1].
29 >
30 > William
31 >
32 > [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/437570
33
34 Who isn't in the OSS world? :) However, they seem to have a valid
35 design and a goal (similar to ours) so why not try to work things out?
38 Regards,
39 Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2