From: Michael Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: Gentoo Foundation - Treasurer Response!
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2019 09:51:44
1 On 03/07/19 07:12, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 01, 2019 at 09:34:06PM +0200, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
3 >>>> Yes, I understand that. However, I still believe that a contract
4 >>>> initiated between CPA and a single small-ish entity such a Gentoo
5 >>>> involves more costs than fees taken by umbrella dedicated to multiple
6 >>>> entities. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
7 >>> Nobody knows yet. Different umbrellas work differently.
8 > The CPA we have engaged so far, Corporate Capital, has a standard
9 > preparation fee of USD1500 per fiscal year. We do have some estimates of
10 > Umbrella fees, plus the Financial Statements I prepared...
11 >
12 >> Sigh. I agree with the second statement. The first one, well...
13 >>
14 >> Here's the example of SPI (disclaimer, we do not know if they would take us):
15 >> * no direct costs associated
16 >> * 5% deduction from donations for SPI's overhead
17 >>
18 >> Big Hint, it helps to first research something and then talk / discuss. That's
19 >> however, rather rare on this list.
20 > The Trustees HAVE previously done _some_ of this legwork on the major
21 > umbrellas, I don't have a link to hand, but I do remember details,
22 > because it was in scope of my work as Treasurer; and we can combine
23 > these with the financial statements to compare against the CPA quotes to
24 > date. Further would should take the longer list of Umbrellas and
25 > comprehensively document their costs.
26 >
27 > As further concrete example:
28 > https://sfconservancy.org/projects/apply/
29 >>> How much does it cost us financially to join Conservancy?
30 >>> New Conservancy members are required to pay 10% of their revenue
31 > The umbrella fees I've seen range:
32 > - smallest: 5% of net revenue (income less expenses)
33 > - largest: 20% of gross income
34 >
35 > The exact definition of which expenses might be included/excluded by a
36 > given umbrella might also vary, I didn't find a clear public
37 > documentation on it.
38 >
39 > Basing that on the FY2018 fiscal, with the additional caveat that I
40 > don't have any value assigned to in-kind server/hosting services
41 > received by Infra; That would increase gross & net values.
42 >
43 > Gross Income: USD 28,600.15
44 > Gross Expenses: USD 9,292.95
45 > - Depreciation: USD 3,659.64 (it devalued assets but wasn't something we actually spent)
46 > - "Real" Expense: USD 5,633.31
47 > = Net revenue: USD 22,966.84
48 >
49 > 5% of net: USD 1,148.34
50 > 20% of gross: USD 5,720.03
51 >
52 > At an outward glance, this does imply that some umbrellas would be
53 > cheaper than a CPA, while others would be more expensive; but the
54 > equation is more complicated, because we need to be careful about the
55 > accounting of services that the umbrella would provide.
56 >
57 > The equation therefore should be more of:
58 > Cost(Umbrella) vs [Umbrella baseline without umbrella-provided expenses]
59 >
60 > Regardless of the scale of the numbers, the change would REDUCE the
61 > expenses, and increase the net revenue number (and thus also the
62 > Umbrella's actual fee).
63 >
64 Thank you very much for providing some indicative figures, and for the work
65 you have tirelessly done on the Gentoo finances, Robin.
66
67 I hope the council considers them wisely.