From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council discuss: overlapping council terms of two years
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 18:24:29
On 2011.08.02 16:49, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 11:42 AM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> > wrote: > >  But, you are saying that the council has to approve changes for > glep > >  39 before they can come to a vote. This would mean that say a > majority > >  of developers doesn't like something in glep 39, but the council > >  doesn't approve the change. That change will never come to a vote. > In > >  other words, the council has control of the rules that govern it. > Is > >  that what you are intending? > > > > Arguably the current rules are pretty ambiguous for the council. The > rules are fairly explicit for the Foundation, where there are rules > about having membership-convened meetings/etc. >
> > Rich >
Team, The trustees are legally accountable and responsible for the operation of the Gentoo Foundation Inc. Some things in the bylaws are there to comply with statutes. The Gentoo council has no legal standing whatsoever, which I have already said (at FOSEDEM) makes me a little nervous as a trustee, since the council makes decisions on behalf of Gentoo that the Foundation would be held both accountable and responsible for. There have been no issues with that, yet. Maybe its time to reorganise Gentoo along standard corporate lines again, as it was before drobbins left. If we go in that direction, the council becomes a technical committee that is part of the Foundation. GLEP39 is no longer needed and the Foundation bylaws are amended to reflect the new structure. Such a major change would probably need to be put to a vote of Foundation members as we would be changing the make up of what is legally a company. (Members are equivelent to share/stock holders) Note: Foundation members and Gentoo developers are two intersecting sets. This gives rise to all sorts of interesting questions, opportunities possibilities and challenges. Please discuss. -- Regards, Roy Bamford (Neddyseagoon) a member of gentoo-ops forum-mods trustees