From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: A plan for Gentoo
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 20:17:53
1 Hi Daniel,
2
3 I think it's a good thing that you intend to contribute to Gentoo directly
4 again. After all, we are happy about all material contributions.
5
6 That said...
7
8 I don't see the point of the "non-voting council member" special treatment at
9 all; I draw a hard line there. Council meetings are public and usually
10 unmoderated, and constructive comments are always welcome. No special rules
11 needed (and also no special rules possible, but I don't intend to hide behind
12 formalities).
13
14 My suggestion would be
15 * you contribute (which is fully enough to say "Daniel is back and helping out
16 Gentoo!")
17 * you get to know people, and people get to know you
18 * and you (try to) get elected to the council like everybody else.
19
20 Let's be honest, I barely know you, and I've been around for about 7 years
21 now. (That's much longer than you ever were Gentoo developer by the way...)
22
23 And we should also take into consideration that George Santayana quote, "Those
24 Who Do Not Learn History Are Doomed To Repeat It." I made it my task to read
25 up old e-mail threads and logs, and you then stumble upon https://lwn.net/
26 Articles/224615/ ...
27
28 Cheers,
29 Andreas
32 Andreas K. Hüttel
33 dilfridge@g.o
34 Gentoo Linux developer
35 (council, toolchain, perl, libreoffice, comrel)