From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Fundraising for incremental service level
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2020 19:09:33
1 On July 18, 2020 8:13:53 AM EDT, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >On Fri, 2020-07-17 at 10:15 +0100, Andrey Utkin wrote:
3 >> My understanding is that Gentoo Foundation is a non-profit org and is
4 >not meant
5 >> to distribute income to its members (doing that is a legal risk),
6 >which makes
7 >> it useless in this situation.
8 >
9 >It's not about 'distributing income', it's about funding specific
10 >goals.
11 > For example, The NetBSD Foundation is a 501(c)(3) (i.e. a true tax-
12 >exempt non-profit) and is spending a lot of money funding specific
13 >NetBSD work projects performed by its developers (who are members of
14 >TNF).
15
16 Yes, this is a good example of how we could approach. Along with Alec's points, we could easily setup some sort of system to evaluate which projects get funded. This reminds me of Leio's work on Gnome and systemd, but with the foundation in the middle.
17
18 This may even be a critical point to consider where the council and foundation work together in such a venture.
19
20 Could the council evaluate these projects and determine which should be funded (some by laws may need to change to make it legal)?
21
22 Could we hold an open vote with the electorate to determine what is important features and things?
23
24 Just a few thoughts, but I *really* look forward to a day where we as a Foundation can incentivize working on specific features/projects/etc.
25
26 -Aaron
29 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.