From: Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council nominee 2018/19 questions
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 00:13:38
1 On Tuesday, June 26, 2018 4:31:01 PM PDT Aaron Bauman wrote:
2 > [...]
3 > I do believe there are efforts to address this coming from our own
4 > developers.
5 >
6 > One such example is MichaƂ's (mgorny) efforts with Github as the conduit.
7 > His automation, CI bot, and personal involvement has shown fruit in the
8 > form of new developers (sbraz as an example). Such avenues like this can
9 > be exploited to bridge the gap of "getting involved" within Gentoo. The
10 > ease of contribution, abiity to review, and ultimately incorporate the
11 > changes offered by users is conducive to public satisfaction and positive
12 > PR.
13 > [...]
14 > -Aaron
15
16 I strongly agree. That's how I became a dev recently =)
17 And I we have another batch of solid contributors going thru recruitment and
18 doing quizzes right now, most started as github<->proxy-maint collaborators.
19
20 Canonical (bugzilla) way of contributing ebuilds works as well, but is clunky
21 and less visible, and some contributions are ignored for years and years.
22
23 proxy-maint team is pretty strict, but friendly and it usually takes not more
24 than a week to get a new ebuild accepted given it's decent quality but needs
25 some polish. Sometimes it takes longer, but hey.
26 Simple or important bumps can be merged within hours, especially if the
27 contributor is on IRC and knows when and how to ping the right people.
28
29 Even if people contribute to non-proxied ebuilds, members of proxy-maint know
30 how to communicate it to the right people who are less exposed to github and
31 the contributions are not ignored and get acknowledged and merged.
32
33 Also, contributors learn A LOT while following the review process, both
34 technical and political details of gentoo.
35
36 This is a really good way of attracting and educating `fresh blood`.
37 Source: fresh blood.
40 Best regards,
41 Georgy Yakovlev