From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2018-10-14
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 12:33:04
1 On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 09:43:52 +0200 Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Sun, 30 Sep 2018, Sergei Trofimovich wrote:
3 >
4 > > Hello all!
5 > > 14 October (in 2 weeks from now)
6 > > at 19:00 UTC Council will meet again.
7 >
8 > > Please provide agenda items you would like council@ to
9 > > look at (and act) as a reply to this email.
10 >
11 > The new copyright policy (GLEP 76) leaves it to projects to decide
12 > whether they use the long form or the simplified form of the copyright
13 > attribution. I would like to ask the council to decide that the
14 > simplified attribution [1] shall be used for ebuilds in the Gentoo
15 > repository.
16
17 I'd like to voice strongly against this motion.
18
19 Rationale:
20
21 - We have out of the Gentoo repository ebuilds which may be
22 incorporated in the main repository and are licensed properly but
23 an author requires his copyright in the first line to be preserved.
24 GPL-2 allows us to use such ebuilds, but our past copyright policy
25 mandating "Gentoo Foundation" doesn't, as well as proposed motion
26 which mandates "Gentoo Authors" instead of the list of authors
27 including main author if they require so.
28
29 - GLEP 76 already did significant harm to our community by
30 outlawing current anonymous or pseudonymous contributions. Moreover
31 we have people who want to join community, but keep their identity
32 hidden. This is understandable, especially for security or privacy
33 oriented software. The harm should go no further. We have a lot of
34 talks how we need more developers, but what we are doing in many
35 steps including GLEP 76 is exactly the opposite: we are creating
36 additional barriers due to vague and bureaucratic reasons.
37
38 Of course if authors wants to use "Gentoo Authors" this should be
39 allowed, especially for automatic migration from the "Gentoo
40 Foundation" line. But we must preserve the right to use explicit
41 list of authors (including "and others" if necessary) if a
42 maintainer wants so.
43
44 Best regards,
45 Andrew Savchenko