From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Fw: Your temporary 2 week suspension on interacting on the Gentoo Github page
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 08:43:35
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 7:16 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> It frustrates me to see Gentoo go through the same issues over and over again with nothing changing.
4 > If you want to fix problems you need to identify their root causes.
5 > I'm not convinced this is really being done.
6 >
7 > Issue: not enough people are contributing to project xyz on Gentoo.
8 >
9 > That seems to be the crux of the matter here. Some say it is because
10 > contributors are scared away by email chains, and that might be
11 > possibly true. Some say it is because contributors are being turned
12 > away because they are disliked, and that might even be somewhat true.
13 > However, I think there are a bunch of other potential causes, and I
14 > don't think we really can tell how much they all contribute:
15 >
16 > First, "not enough people are working on xyz" is a completely
17 > subjective statement. It is saying that Gentoo does not meet the
18 > expectations of the person making the statement. There is no
19 > objective standard that says that a distro must do this much of A and
20 > that much of B. Every distro has projects that have more and less
21 > support. A project that one person considers critical might be
22 > considered superfluous by another. The example in this thread was
23 > Java and it is a good example of this. I see people with fairly
24 > divided opinions on Java everywhere. Some deem it an enterprise
25 > technology that is widespread and indefensible, and their arguments
26 > are fairly valid. Others call it a memory hog and a pain to
27 > administer and they usually raise good arguments as well. A lot of
28 > Gentoo devs don't care about the enterprise, and some do, but probably
29 > don't use Java there. Also, half the point of Java is
30 > write-once-run-everywhere which doesn't entirely mesh well with a
31 > source-based distro. I'm not saying that you can't build Java from
32 > source - just that you don't necessarily get the same benefits from
33 > doing so that you might with C.
34 >
35 > Then if you want to compare Gentoo with other distros you need to keep
36 > in mind that we are very much a niche. Many examples can be cited of:
37 > * Binary distros that are release based.
38 > * Binary distros that are rolling release.
39 > * Binary distros that target the enterprise.
40 > * Binary distros that target the desktop. (ironically the biggest is
41 > a Gentoo derivative)
42 > * Binary distros that are focused around Gnome 3.
43 > * Binary distros that are focused around Gnome 2.
44 > * Binary distros that are focused around KDE/Plasma.
45 > * I wouldn't be shocked if there are several focused around KDE 3/4.
46 > * Binary distros that operate principally from LiveDVDs.
47 > * Binary distros focused on routers.
48 > * Binary distros that are very systemd-oriented.
49 > * Binary distros that use systemd but in more of a legacy/LSB-oriented manner.
50 > * Binary distros that avoid systemd.
51 > * Binary distros that exist mainly to run containers (ironically the
52 > biggest is a Gentoo derivative)
53 > * Binary distros that exist to run on phones.
54 > * Binary distros that semi-containerize every package.
55 >
56 > If you want to talk about source-based distros there is basically just
57 > Gentoo and a few derivatives. In the binary world they have such
58 > manpower available that they can fork themselves in 500 different
59 > directions. In the source-based world we have so little manpower that
60 > we struggle to maintain a viable distro under one big tent.
61 > Maintaining a source-based distro is also fairly manpower-intensive.
62 > We need build scripts that work for everybody in all kinds of exotic
63 > configurations. A binary distro just needs to be able to reliably get
64 > a scripted build to work in a very controlled environment.
65 >
66 > I think Gentoo is great, but a lot of people don't feel that they need
67 > it to meet their needs, and a lot of binary distros are a lot easier
68 > to maintain. I run OpenWRT on my router, not Gentoo. I run Android
69 > on my phone, not Gentoo. There are advantages to having
70 > niche-oriented distros and the binary world has a TON of them.
71 >
72 > The binary distros have also tended to improve over time. Back when
73 > emerge was mainly competing against Debian/Redhat it was a different
74 > world than the world post-Ubuntu. Arch is also fairly similar to
75 > Gentoo in principle and thus will tend to split the contributor base.
76 >
77 > So, even if we had an environment where every Gentoo contributor was
78 > completely happy, and every offered PR made it into the tree in a
79 > quality-controlled manner in a day, we probably would still struggle
80 > with some of these issues. That is frustrating, but I think it goes
81 > with the territory.
82 >
83 > Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to belittle the interpersonal
84 > stuff, and we may be able to improve there. I just wouldn't count on
85 > it turning into a high-commit-volume paradise without some bigger
86 > changes. A lot of these changes are going to be difficult to make.
87 > Our PR workflow is certainly an improvement, but as we see with Java
88 > it still suffers when nobody with commit access wants to deal with the
89 > PRs, and there is probably a lot of room for improvement in other
90 > ways.
94 I had a nice draft response to this which you would likely have enjoyed
95 reading but after reading Maciej's reply, I don't see the need to even
96 finish it. It seems the current Gentoo staff wants to keep going the
97 same way and keep things as they are, which is the problem. If that is
98 the case, fine. I learned long ago that there are some people and some
99 groups that don't deserve help even when they need it. I learned to
100 walk away in those cases and let them fend for themselves even if I
101 don't like seeing it happen.
102
103 I guess Gentoo wants to go along like this for good while longer. I
104 suspect that by the time Gentoo wants to fix it, there won't be anyone
105 willing to help fix it.
106
107 Dale
108