From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2018-01-14
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 07:10:19
W dniu pon, 08.01.2018 o godzinie 12∶38 -0500, użytkownik Brian Evans
napisał:
> On 1/2/2018 8:35 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote: > > In two weeks from now, the council will meet again. This is the time > > to raise and prepare items that the council should put on the agenda > > to discuss or vote on. > > > > Please respond to this message with agenda items. Do not hesitate to > > repeat your agenda item here with a pointer if you previously > > suggested one (since the last meeting). > > > > The agenda for the meeting will be sent out on Sunday 2018-01-07. > > > > Please reply to the gentoo-project list. > > > > Ulrich > > > > I feel the council should discuss the current disarray that are the > profiles. > > How new profiles are communicated to users is only causing confusion. > There are currently two GLEP-42 news items that users see. If they > haven't updated in a few months, they will see the 17.1 news item first, > on amd64, because of the 'Display-If-Installed: >=sys-devel/gcc-6.4.0' > restriction of the 17.0 profile news item.
This is fixed already.
> While at the same time, the 13.0 profile is marked as deprecated and > portage complains.
Doesn't it say list the 17.0 replacement profile?
> Until just recently, the 17.1 profile looked like what users had to > migrate to on the most common arch, amd64. > > We need a set of standard procedures and recommendations to properly > navigate through this swamp of a transition. > > Should there be a (better) mechanism on profile changes? >
Maybe there should. FYI, I've updated the Handbook [1] with a big red warning on profile upgrades. Maybe we should also 'arm' eselect profile a little bit more, to warn or even require '--force' (or '--upgrade') when switching to a newer profile version. [1]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Parts/Installation/Base#Choosing_the_right_profile -- Best regards, Michał Górny