From: Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions to nominees
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 09:19:30
1 On Sunday, June 20, 2021 2:40:36 PM PDT David Seifert wrote:
2 > Nominees,
3 > congratulations on your nominations! As part of this year's elections,
4 > I'd like to pose five questions to the nominees, that I believe are
5 > important factors in considering someone a good candidate for the
6 > council:
7 >
8 > 1. Do you feel you have enough time to commit to serving as a Gentoo
9 > council member in the 2021/2022 term? Does your commit activity support
10 > this? If you served in 2020/2021, have you prepared for council meetings
11 > and finished all unfinished business for which you were responsible (as
12 > a council member)?
13 >
14 Yes/Yes/Yes
15 Nothing really to add here, some details covered in following answers.
16
17 > 2. Project X and Project Y have irreconcilable differences, but you
18 > aren't involved with any of the projects. A crucial technical decision
19 > needs to be made. How will you react? Will you defer? Do you consider
20 > abstaining a viable option for the group of people making decisions as a
21 > last resort?
22 >
23 I will do research and try to understand both positions,
24 talk with peers outside council meeting time, gather opinions.
25 Deferring if possible if I strongly feel that wrong decision is being made.
26 Abstaining is almost never an option for me.
27
28 > 3. Given your typical area of responsibility, how have you performed?
29 >
30 I was affected severely by burnout, isolation and health
31 problems last year, but I think I did just fine and kept doing gentoo work
32 and maintained friendly attitude regardless of personal problems.
33
34 > 4. What positive change/idea/plan do you have for Gentoo that you would
35 > try to further (not necessarily as a council member)? By positive change
36 > I mean actually changing something concrete, not some diffuse notion of
37 > "improving how the council acts" or non-tangible deliverable.
38 >
39 Many. Not everything is deliverable and no time for all of it.
40 I'll list just things I'm confident in:
41 * I have plans to add module signing support to our kernels and
42 eclasses. I made an attempt 2 years ago, but it really required EAPI=7
43 for selective strip support.
44 * eselect-rust rewrite is pending and the way rust is installed will change
45 in the future.
46 * A lot of ppc64 work is in progress and I will continue
47 improving ppc64 experience on gentoo.
48
49 > 5. Do you think the council should be more agile - i.e. take decisions
50 > for the purpose of propelling Gentoo forward, rather than waiting for
51 > the decision to be made for it? Would you consider a small number of
52 > departing views on the mailing list or IRC to be enough to derail a
53 > proposal? When do you consider a controversial issue to have been
54 > discussed enough?
55 >
56 Yes, council feels sluggish and it needs to be proactive as well.
57
58 As for departing views, it really depends.
59 There are people who always disagree just for sake of it,
60 or people who always disagree on certain topic,
61 or people who have to have unnecessary opinion on everything.
62 While I try to keep all factors considered, getting blocked by vocal minority
63 or known offenders/trolls is not productive.
64 But valid and constructive criticism is always considered.
65
66 Controversial decisions may need more input from developer or user community.
67 I can't really define exact "enough" condition.
68 I guess, when all the information is provided but only trolls remain active.
69
70 > Regards
71 > David