From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: Re: ABI deps and DEPEND labelling
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 15:09:54
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 16:54:32 +0100
4 > Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5
6 >> One thing that puzzles me is I never see .so versioning mentioned, eg
7 >> libc.so.5 vs .6 linking to latest providing specified ABI.
8 >
9 > Unix already has mechanisms for dealing with that.
10
11 Yes, that was my point.
12
13 > All the package
14 > manager needs to make use of that is := slot dependencies, which you
15 > can find documented in PMS for kdebuild-1. But since I invented them,
16 > I'm looking forward to see what reason you can cook up for disliking it.
17 >
18 Fwiw I liked the := dep specification, just like I liked labelled deps. I
19 don't see those as 'inventions' ofc, since they merely duplicate what
20 others have been doing for years, but feel free to think of yourself as the
21 great innovator, toiling away in your lab, misunderstood by the unwashed
22 masses (one day they'll be sorry..) And you wonder that I considered your
23 prior post some sort of claim?
24
25 /me suddenly understands why so many Gentoo devs won't use gmane.