From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] changing the default of ACCEPT_LICENSE in portage
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 19:52:14
1 hasufell schrieb:
2 > I think according to our philsophy and social contract we should
3 > make people aware of free software and because of that also change
4 > the default to:
5 >
6 > ACCEPT_LICENSE="@FREE"
7
8 The problem with this approach is that while the license might qualify
9 as "free", the software itself might not. This was already pointed out
10 by someone else in this thread. So we would block some but not all
11 non-free software. Software that is under non-copyleft free license
12 (BSD, MIT, X11, Apache-2.0, ...) could still be distributed as
13 sourceless binaries.
14
15 Also this would affect the kernel sources when deblobbing is disabled.
16
17 I am not against this move, but this will require a lot of effort in
18 educating users about the consequences.
21 Best regards,
22 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn