From: Rich Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2016 15:24:07
1 On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 11:07 AM, Nick Vinson <nvinson234@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 10/07/2016 08:00 AM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
4 >> On 10/07/2016 04:54 PM, Nick Vinson wrote:
5 >>> If the developer is really a problem,
6 >>> then ComRel will be given repeated chances to deal with the developer
7 >>> and eventually (well hopefully not eventually) the "due process" will be
8 >>> done correctly and the developer will be removed.
9 >>
10 >> Not necessarily, bringing back might on its own open up for especially
11 >> PR issues, but also potentially legal ones. So its not as simple as
12 > s
13 > Maybe, but I'd happily accept any bad PR that resulted in me choosing
14 > not to punish a dev because it was unclear that the dev deserved it.
15
16 Of course, but as far as I can tell nobody is being punished that
17 doesn't deserve it. Of course, I can only go by the appeals I've
18 seen.
19
20 > And as for the legal issues argument, if such a scenario was to occur,
21 > then I argue the dev should still be brought back (because again it's
22 > not immediately clear that the dismissal was proper)
23
24 No organization I'm aware of rehires or otherwise brings people back
25 into an organization solely because there is a dispute that they were
26 rightfully gotten rid of. In that case you still have the threat of
27 legal action due to allegations of improper dismissal, but you also
28 have the threat of legal action because of failure to moderate your
29 communications/etc.
30
31 I think another issue to keep in mind that people who are dismissed
32 from Gentoo have essentially zero recourse unless it was grounded in
33 something like discrimination on a protected class (and even then I'm
34 not sure exactly how the laws pertain, not that we would ever tolerate
35 such a thing). However, Gentoo can be sued for letting somebody use
36 our communications media to perform tortious activities. So, the
37 legal incentives are fairly different from what an employer might
38 face.
39
40 In any case, I fully support allowing the Trustees to ensure that our
41 policies are legally compliant.
44 Rich