From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: maintainer-wanted bugcount
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 17:40:50
1 Hans de Graaff wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 14:12 +0100, Markus Ullmann wrote:
3 > I actually did look into this briefly a few months ago, based on the
4 > same observation of so many maintainer-wanted bugs open. Based on
5 > looking at some random bugs my observation was that most upstreams still
6 > exist. Whether or not they are dead is another matter that requires some
7 > more time, as does assessing if the package is still relevant for the
8 > tree.
9 >
10 > I'd be happy to revisit this and start combing bugzilla in a bit more
11 > structured way and close maintainer-wanted bugs when applicable, but it
12 > will be slow going. Any other volunteers? I imagine a quick write-up of
13 > goals and "rules" a la treecleaners should be enough to kick this off.
14 >
15 That's cool for the devs; I'm wondering if we can't bring users into helping
16 with bugs a bit more. I appreciate that there is a link to bug-wranglers,
17 but something like this is much more conducive to getting user help for the
18 stuff that clogs up bugzilla:
19 http://live.gnome.org/Bugsquad
20 In particular, the triage guide at:
21 http://live.gnome.org/Bugsquad/TriageGuide
22 ..seems like a really simple (in the sense that it's just a webpage) way to
23 get users to be a help rather than a hindrance.
24
25 A link to: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html would seem
26 useful as well.
27
28 How would the bug-wranglers feel about this; *plop* ?
29
30 > Voting could really help to bring maintainer-wanted bugs to our
31 > attention. Currently only 3 bugs have any votes for them. If more people
32 > would dish out their votes it would become more clear which packages
33 > would please a large number of people and there may be more incentive
34 > for maintainers to take them.
35 >
36 Makes sense; maybe if a dev asked on the forums (Gentoo-chat would be best
37 imo) for users to vote on maintainer-wanted stuff they'd like? It's not a
38 guarantee that they'll get in, but at least it helps with this
39 housecleaning, gives some data for stuff that people can put into sunrise
40 if they want to start working on ebuilds, and lets users know they're
41 valued. We certainly value the work you do :-)
42
43 "If you treat your beta-testers as if they're your most valuable resource,
44 then they will respond by becoming your most valuable resource."
45 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/24325
49 gentoo-project@g.o mailing list