From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: copyright attribution clarifications
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 13:37:10
1 On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 7:02 AM Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > >>>>> On Sat, 24 Nov 2018, Alec Warner wrote:
4 >
5 > > I think it is an entirely reasonable position to do the following:
6 > > - Not accept the SEI notices because we do not understand the grounds on
7 > > which they are added.
8 > > - Ask SEI for a rationale for what the notices are meant to convey, so
9 > we
10 > > can decide if we can support whatever that use case is; maybe its
11 > something
12 > > we didn't consider in the GLEP.
13 >
14 > Hm, shall we make this an agenda item for the next Council meeting?
17 I think if you will do nothing, developers will continue to add SEI
18 notices. If you don't want them to do that (and my understanding from
19 talking to the council is many do not want the notices) then I believe
20 action is necessary to block the notices[0]. I'm happy to add something to
21 the agenda.
25 > > I don't think its reasonable to say they are mean shitheads; because the
26 > > fact is we don't know what they want to accomplish with the notices.
27 > > My concern is that they may later provide a reasonable use case for the
28 > > notices and the council will just say 'well that use case is stupid
29 > because
30 > > Sony is stupid'; because that is the message many members of the council
31 > > are currently communicating. Why would Sony even bother if the narrative
32 > is
33 > > the Council won't listen anyway? It looks like a waste of their time.
34 >
35 > In the first place, they should have raised their concerns while GLEP 76
36 > was in the making, not after it went through the approval process with
37 > Council and Trustees. Our proposed policy was posted on the mailing list
38 > for review, even with several iterations. Plus, they were happy with a
39 > single line notice before, so not accepting it any longer looks like an
40 > arbitrary move.
43 I agree that having the company participate earlier in the process would
44 have improved things and this is something we should encourage. I'm not
45 sure its necessary to present the GLEP as some kind of immutable entity
46 though; we have a process to amend it and whatnot. However, I also want to
47 give the GLEP authors a break (I know many of you have been working on this
48 GLEP for more than a year) and this is why my intent is to put us in a
49 position where its up to Sony (and other companies) to drive the changes
50 they want. I think blocking the contributions is the stick to make that
51 happen.
52
53 -A
54
55 [0] There was another argument raised that we could accept the ebuilds with
56 the SEI Copyright notice at the top, then replace it later with "Gentoo
57 Authors and others" once edited by a non SEI employee. This wasn't
58 something I was keen on as a board member; but I think it comes back to
59 "Why exactly does Sony want the notices and can we meet those obligations
60 some other way."
63 > > I think the above proposal puts the ball clearly in SEI's court; if they
64 > > want the notices accepted they can provide a memo detailing why. If they
65 > > don't care, they can drop the notices or stop committing.
66 >
67 +1
68 >
69 > Ulrich