From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Groups under the Council or Foundation: the structure & processes thereof
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 01:52:18
1 On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 8:39 PM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Outsourcing the foundation won't really solve any of the problems being
4 > discussed here, and adds the point of contention that (I would bet) many
5 > of us have to outsourcing Gentoo things, e.g. GitHub, et al. Outsourcing
6 > things gives outside parties influence for zero concrete contribution.
9 Well, this thread has gone so far off the rails that this really
10 depends on how you define "any of the problems being discussed here"
11 since at some point probably just about any concern anybody has with
12 Gentoo has probably come up. :)
13
14 I don't think outsourcing the financials/compliance side would impact
15 Comrel governance, unless your proposed solution to Comrel governance
16 was to put it under the Foundation, since that wouldn't exist in such
17 a scenario.
18
19 It would potentially have the effect of reducing the number of
20 distinct governance bodies we have, which is a topic which has come
21 up.
22
23 But, I tend to be of the opinion that Gentoo's meta-structure and the
24 Comrel situation should probably be treated as separate matters, even
25 if there are some touchpoints.
26
27 I did actually find Alec's comment about SPI and Debian/etc
28 interesting. I hadn't really given thought to what liability SPI has,
29 if any, for the conduct of Debian, if Debian isn't really a separate
30 legal entity. I'd think that if SPI owns their servers, and their
31 servers are used to communicate things that are libelous, then SPI
32 probably would have liability. It is probably worth looking at how
33 they (and other projects) handle this concern if only to generate some
34 ideas for us to consider, whether we ultimately go down the SPI road
35 or not.
36
37 One of the advantages of something like the SPI route is that they
38 probably have standardized policies around compliance issues that we
39 could just adopt wholesale, and they probably have professionals
40 backing all of them up (such as lawyers focused on FOSS and community
41 issues).
42
43 Now, as was pointed out an obvious disadvantage of going that route is
44 that you do lose some autonomy. In fact once you give them any assets
45 they can only give them back to "you" if you have a 501c3, because
46 they are a 501c3. Of course, assuming you're happy with them they
47 also give you the benefits of a 501c3 without the fuss of trying to
48 achieve that yourself.
51 Rich