From: Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-09-10
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 07:20:54
1 18.09.2013 06:53, Daniel Campbell пишет:
2 > As a user, I've considered becoming a developer but the process is
3 > rather contrived and multi-tiered. It doesn't seem like you're becoming
4 > a developer through said process, but rather joining a fraternity.
5 > There's lots of bureacracy involved that really turns prospective
6 > developers off. I don't know how common it is, but if Gentoo has a lack
7 > of developers, there must be a clear reason as to why. Clearly Gentoo
8 > has a lot of avid users *and* developers, so if developers are needed,
9 > perhaps the process to become a developer should be improved. Why else
10 > would the distro be lacking devs if it has a bright and enthusiastic
11 > userbase?
12 >
13 > My two cents,
14 >
15 > ~Daniel
18 As a long standing user and no-so-longstanding(~1 year) developer i can
19 say this - the recruitment process seems daunting, but all that things
20 with quizes guarantee that new developer does not shoot in the knee in
21 his first day with commit access to portage tree.
24 Best regards, Sergey Popov
25 Gentoo developer
26 Gentoo Desktop Effects project lead
27 Gentoo Qt project lead
28 Gentoo Proxy maintainers project lead