From: Chris Reffett <creffett@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Proposed GLEP 1 changes
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 05:51:04
1 Hello all,
2
3 As a member of the GLEP team, I would like to propose several
4 updates to GLEP 1. I have attached the original and diffs for each of my
5 proposed changes for reference, and I apologize in advance if any of the
6 diffs cannot be applied simultaneously. Summaries and rationales for
7 each change are as follows:
8
9 1. Remove the "current GLEP editor" list. I don't see a reason to update
10 this every time the GLEP editor roster changes, and this can be found on
11 the website/Wiki/other places.
12
13 2. Allow GLEPs to go to gentoo-project. In the year and a half I've been
14 a dev, pretty much all GLEP-related discussion I've seen has stuck to
15 the usual rule of technical stuff on -dev, non-technical on -project,
16 despite GLEP 1 saying all GLEP discussion should go to -dev. This
17 actually puts that rule into GLEP 1, saying that Standards Track GLEPs
18 (which are for the most part technical in nature) go to -dev, and
19 Informational (which are generally non-technical) go to -project.
20
21 3. Here's where we start changing workflow. I would like to be more open
22 about the GLEP approval/rejection process, and that starts with the
23 proposals. I would like to change from the format of "email glep@ ->
24 only the submitter and the GLEP editors know of all of the proposals and
25 rejection rationales" to a more transparent system, and that system will
26 be bugzie. This change would have people submit prospective GLEPs on
27 bugzilla, and the editors will discuss and approve/reject there. This
28 also provides for suggesting major changes to GLEPs on bugzilla. This
29 change would be supported by adding a GLEP product and "New GLEP" and
30 "GLEP Update" components on bugzilla (though the specifics here can be
31 flexible, if preferred it could go under Doc Other, for example).
32 Alternatively, we can have people comment on the original GLEP bugs when
33 they have changes (like how we handle new dev/retirement bugs), but I
34 feel this method is better for compartmentalizing changes.
35
36 4. It is unclear in the current GLEP 1 wording whether changes need to
37 go through the Council. Going from the example of the recent changes to
38 GLEP 48 going through the council, this adds clarification by saying
39 that anything that actually changes the meaning of the GLEP should go
40 through the Council.
41
42 5. This removes GuideXML as a GLEP format. Currently, no GLEPs are in
43 GuideXML format, and since we are migrating away from hosting project
44 stuff on www.gentoo.org anyway there is no need to continue supporting
45 GuideXML as an option. This particular change was suggested by a3li.
46
47 6. The other big workflow change, this would make the official storage
48 of GLEPs move to the Wiki, under the GLEP: namespace, which would be
49 restricted to GLEP editors (since, obviously, we don't want people
50 messing around with the GLEPs). This also makes the official GLEP format
51 change to Wiki markup from the current ReST format. If this one receives
52 a generally positive consensus, I will present an updated GLEP 2 redone
53 in Wiki markup to the Council along with these proposed changes, and
54 would handle the conversion of existing GLEPs to Wiki markup.
55 Alternatively, we could probably find a plugin for MediaWiki to handle
56 pages in ReST format, and so not have to change the official format.
57 Either is acceptable to me.
58
59 I am definitely open to other approaches, so in addition to the usual
60 criticisms of the proposal, please let me know if you can think of a
61 more efficient workflow for the GLEP process. My goal is to make the
62 GLEP process easy for everyone and as transparent as possible.
63
64 Thanks,
65 Chris Reffett

glep-0001.txt text/plain