From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, chainsaw@g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 2013-01-08
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 21:02:08
1 On 12/27/2012 05:37 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > EAPI 5 provides use.stable.mask files to solve this but those files
3 > require profiles to be EAPI 5. Therefore, in order to be able to use it
4 > we would have to actually break the update path for older portage
5 > versions completely.
6
7 So, adding new profiles and deprecating the old ones is considered to
8 "break the update path for older versions"? I don't a problem with
9 deprecating profiles and forcing users to switch. The only manual labor
10 involved could be `emerge -1 portage && eselect profile set <target>`.
11
12 > I have tried to raise the topic on the mailing list [1] but it mostly
13 > resulted in some people agreeing that it is an issue that should be
14 > addressed but no real ideas.
15 >
16 > I have come up with three possible solutions myself. Long story short:
17 >
18 > a) adding new profiles which will require EAPI=5 and requiring all
19 > users to migrate to them after upgrading portage. Using new
20 > use.stable.mask files in those profiles.
21
22 This was my plan all along, and seems perfectly reasonable to me.
23 --
24 Thanks,
25 Zac