From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [pre-glep] Security Project Structure
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2018 22:31:05
1 On Tue, Dec 04, 2018 at 05:05:55PM -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 12/4/18 4:05 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
3 > >
4 > > I personally don't agree with part of this section; security is
5 > > relative, and if it is stated to not be supported there are no security
6 > > assumptions. If anything the removal of these arches as security
7 > > supported demonstrates an active decisions not to support them, and
8 > > signals to users of these arches that they can't depend on security
9 > > information from Gentoo. Stable generally means a stable tree of
10 > > dependencies, without security assumptions, if this is e.g used in a
11 > > closed lab that likely doesn't impact much.
14 > This is technically correct, but: how many users even know what a
15 > security-supported arch is? I would guess zero, to a decimal point or
16 > two. Where would I encounter that information in my daily life?
17 >
18 > If I pick up any software system that's run by professionals and that
19 > has a dedicated security team, my out-of-the-box assumption is that
20 > there aren't any known, glaring, and totally fixable security
21 > vulnerabilities being quietly handed to me.
22 >
23 > Having a stable arch that isn't security-supported is a meta-fail... we
24 > have a system that fails open by giving people something that looks like
25 > it should be safe and then (when it bites them) saying "but you didn't
26 > read the fine print!" It should be the other way around: they should
27 > have to read the fine print before they can use those arches.
30 +1
31
32 Wonderfully put and I couldn't agree more!
35 Cheers,
36 Aaron