From: Alex Xu <alex_y_xu@×××××.ca>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Spoofing on list -> Infra response re SPF
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2016 20:11:53
1 On Mon, 05 Dec 2016 14:50:30 -0500
2 "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > New thread, others can filter out.
5 >
6 > On Monday, December 5, 2016 7:25:52 PM EST Robin H. Johnson wrote:
7 > > This is the official infra response re SPF in this case.
8 > >
9 > > On Mon, Dec 05, 2016 at 12:03:02PM -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
10 > > > Something is not "off" with our mail servers, and there is
11 > > > currently no way to prevent "From" spoofing without significant
12 > > > collateral damage.
13 > >
14 > > Correct.
15 > >
16 > > Infra does maintain an SPF page as well.
17 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Infrastructure/SPF
18 >
19 > What does infra use to validate SPF records?
20
21 AIUI, they only use it as part of overall light spam filtering on
22 incoming mail. the only checks on forwarded mail are spam keywords and
23 for subscription. (?)
24
25 > Having a SPF record alone is not enough. You need to run some
26 > software that checks the emails against SPF records, ones I publish
27 > for my domain, ones Gentoo publishes for its domains etc.
28 >
29 > In my case I use ASSP. Which I have used in front of mailing lists as
30 > well. Maybe Gentoo needs to put something into place to check SPF
31 > records.
32 >
33 > Unless Gentoo wants to allow spoofing via email on lists as I did on
34 > accident the first time and on purpose the 2nd. Spoofing should not
35 > be allowed at all on lists. I should not be able to pose as a Gentoo
36 > Developer or another on any Gentoo mailing lists.
37
38 SPF does not validate the From header in the first place, it only
39 verifies the envelope sender. SPF is irrelevant to the concern of email
40 sender spoofing from a user perspective.
41
42 > Also why is GPG signing no longer required?
43 >
44 > That alone can help ensure emails are coming from who they say they
45 > are. Not sure how I was able to sign an email with an email not part
46 > of my GPG key. Not sure if that is kmail bug or by design.
47
48 I am fairly confident that it never was. I am fairly confident that no
49 mainstream mailing list software checks GPG signatures.