From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] Ebuild quizzes for existing developers
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2019 11:48:33
1 On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 6:43 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > What do you think?
6 I'm not sure this will be the best way to improve the quality. In my view
7 (although it's a long time ago I did the eclasses) doing ebuilds and
8 eclasses right is a pretty deep *and* pretty wide subject, such that it
9 seems likely that even with regular requizzing and quizz updates, there
10 would still be a lot of material that is not adequately covered by the
11 ebuild quizzes. Given the largish burden on developers, couldn't they more
12 productively spend their limited time on actual ebuild improvements?
13
14 As an alternative route, I would suggest investing more heavily in
15 automated (static or dynamic) analysis of ebuilds to find patterns that are
16 incorrect. This has the benefit that every contribution can be checked
17 (instead of the skills of some of our contributors, every once in a while),
18 and even if it's not free of false positives can act as a way to learn
19 about patterns that might be problematic.
20
21 Regards,
22
23 Dirkjan