From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council appointed leaders for QA and DevRel
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 13:08:18
1 Markos Chandras schrieb:
2 > On 08/14/2011 01:15 PM, Thomas Sachau wrote:
3 >> Markos Chandras schrieb:
4 >>> Hi all,
5 >>>
6 >>> This is the first of the items I would like to discuss for the
7 >>> next Council agenda (or a later one).
8 >>>
9 >>> Some time ago, few people proposed to have Council appointed
10 >>> leaders for QA and DevRel.
11 >
12 >> My first question: Why is your proposal restricted to QA and DevRel?
13 >
14 > Cause I believe these teams are crucial to the continuity of Gentoo
15 > project.
16
17 How do you weight one project against another one? I see it the other way round: QA and DevRel are
18 only important, if there is some issue not resolved otherwise. But many other projects are always
19 important, since they have to maintain things continuously.
20 While the council could still decide, if DevRel or QA are gone (they just take some workload away),
21 you wont be able to get the council to e.g. maintain our infrastructure, ebuilds or docs.
25 >>> I like the idea because this way the Council can ensure that the
26 >>> team is active or either force some activity in case the current
27 >>> leader slacks big time.
28 >
29 >> If there is noone active in a team, noone prevents other devs to join
30 >> the team and vote themselves for the lead. So even if there is no
31 >> activity, it should be no problem to get activity, if someone is
32 >> interested to do the work.
33 > Right now, you can't join any of these teams unless a lead approves you.
34 > Have a look at gentoo-qa ML.
35
36 Please re-read my lines. I talked about _noone being active_. The QA team is not empty/inactive,
37 neither is DevRel team empty/inactive, so this does not apply to the current situation.
38
39 >> If the team is inactive and noone interested, the Council wont be able
40 >> to create any activity either, since they cannot force anyone to do
41 >> something.
42 > You can't just join a dead team and become a lead :). There are some
43 > bureaucracy procedures to follow.
44
45 You cant? who prevents you from doing so? And if there are just some procedures to follow, this just
46 means some initial activity/workload to do so, but again: If the team is dead, who could prevent you
47 from joining it and then becoming the lead?
48
49 >>> Furthermore, right now there is the potential problem for the
50 >>> leader to only allow new members that he likes so they can vote for
51 >>> him on next elections. Membership and voting actions should not be
52 >>> related in these teams.
53 >
54 >> How is this specific to those 2 projects? Other projects do work the
55 >> same way, so if you argument this way, you should extend your
56 >> proposal to all projects, not just QA and DevRel.
57 >
58 > Like I said, these are the crucial projects. This is because they manage
59 > procedures affecting inter-project related issues etc.
60
61 I have to disagree about the importance of those 2 projects. The most important work done by those
62 teams is fixing minor issues, being either technical issues or inter-personal issues. While those
63 teams can make a decision, this is never final, you always have the option to go to the council,
64 which is elected by the dev community and has the final decision. So i would see those projects more
65 like some delegation of work to people interested in doing the work in that area, while the council
66 still has the last word.
67
68 And, as a side note: Only a very small minority of devs is even willing and able to do the work of
69 those projects, so a regular council voting would effectively change nothing beside adding some more
70 bureaucracy.