From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Representation of Gentoo on third-party platforms
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 02:40:20
1 On Saturday, November 12, 2016 9:16:09 PM EST Rich Freeman wrote:
2 >
3 > Sure. In an ideal world the Council would send out a call for agenda
4 > items each month, and there wouldn't be any, because everybody is
5 > resolving their own issues on their own.
6
7 The council should be setting the agenda, leading Gentoo. Call for Agenda
8 should be minimal and supplemental. Developer input on direction, etc.
9
10 Problem resolution should never be part of the councils recurring agenda, or
11 really ever unless it is technical in nature. The Council can always leverage
12 the Foundation and Trustees rather than creating more entities and chaos.
13
14 > Team leads already try to deal with conflicts within their teams.
15 > Sometimes they're unable to do so. Maybe the team lead is part of the
16 > problem.
17
18 There are not many team leads much less active. I am not sure problems really
19 ever existed between team leads.
20
21 > And this is why we have a process for dealing with these sorts of
22 > issues. They don't always go away on their own.
23
24 None of which require Comrel.
25
26 > What would you prefer that the Council spend their time on? The main
27 > purpose of the Council is to deal with cases where individual projects
28 > aren't able to resolve things on their own, conflicts between
29 > projects, and appeals from Comrel/QA. It is a democratically elected
30 > governance body.
31
32 I am seriously in major shock at your statement. Coming from a Council
33 member... I think you have a complete misunderstanding of the purpose of the
34 Gentoo Council. I am flat out flabbergasted.
35
36 The purpose of the Gentoo Council is to Lead the Gentoo project as a whole.
37 Anything that falls outside the scope of the Foundation. The Council should be
38 producing new ideas and taking Gentoo in various directions.
39
40 It is a leadership body, not a problem resolution entity... That is such a
41 minor aspect, and surely not the main intention or mandate.
42
43 Let me show you what I am talking about...
44 http://www.funtoo.org/Java_Configuration_Design_Update
45
46 Things like that, ideas should be produced from Council members and set out as
47 the direction for Gentoo. Then motivate volunteers to help take Gentoo in said
48 direction. It should not simply proxy things from developers, EAPI, etc.
49 There should be some of that sure, but the Council should be producing such
50 things themselves. Council generated GLEPs and other things.
51
52 There are many other things the Council and/or Foundation should be doing as
53 well. Self driven things, not things that are solely coming from developers.
54
55 Seriously what the heck is going on... Things have gotten so far from what
56 they should be... This is really crazy...
59 William L. Thomson Jr.