From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Groups under the Council or Foundation: the structure & processes thereof
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 04:07:00
1 On 10/12/2016 06:30 PM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > To make a radical suggestion, I'm wondering if it might be considered to
3 > put some organizational group responsibilities under the Foundation
4 > instead, while to establish others formally of the Council.
5 > In some parlance, they might be considered as appointed/'hired' staff or
6 > committee members of the management bodies, while the bodies themselves
7 > remain elected.
8 >
9 I don't think they should be considered 'hired', they are still
10 volunteers. I say this for Legal reasons mainly.
11
12 > I've used 'contributors' as a descriptor below, because the CoC should
13 > be applies to both developers & users & non-users alike: all
14 > participants in any Gentoo-associated media, mailing lists, IRC
15 > channels, message boards etc.
16 >
17 > I've also tried to avoid using our existing term 'project', because some
18 > of the group responsibilities do not fit well into the project structure
19 > of GLEP39.
20 >
21 > I joined Gentoo in 2003, and a lot of the groups were already in
22 > existence, whilst only a few came later.
23 > - PR, Devrel, Infra are some of the oldest groups inside Gentoo:
24 > they were listed in GLEP-4 as of 2003/06/30, as pre-existing entities
25 > within the distribution. GLEP-4 made the groups them into
26 > top-level-projects.
27 > -- Recruiters were an offshoot from the original Devrel:Newdev sub-project
28 > -- QA is also present in that document, but bears little resemblance to
29 > the original group.
30 > - Foundation's origins (2004, 2007 all-new) are in ensuring that the
31 > distribution is organizationally (legally & financial) sound.
32 > - Council's origins (2006, GLEP39) are in handling global issues and
33 > those that cross GLEP39-project boundaries, both to ensure that the
34 > distribution is technically sound.
35 >
36 > The establishment of the Council & GLEP39 mostly placed all of the
37 > existing groups as reporting to the Council, and therein problems have
38 > ultimately arisen. As noted by the fact that Devrel's mandate wasn't
39 > formally renewed.
40 >
41 > The responsibilities of some of the older groups can & do cross the
42 > technical/organizational boundaries, whilst others fall clearly into one
43 > side.
44 > - Infra gets sponsorship & Foundation funds to ensure hosting & services
45 > keep running for the distribution's needs. Legal compliance that what
46 > we run complies with laws.
47
48 Should be run by Foundation I feel, given the monetary and legal
49 requirements.
50
51 > - PR promotes the distribution (via the banners for conferences,
52 > merchandise), trademark usage questions often come here.
53
54 Similar to infra but less technical.
55
56 > - QA is a technical function, and clearly belongs to the Council.
57 > However it's enforcement powers suggest that it might not be just a
58 > GLEP39-project.
59
60 Ya, probably not a glep39 project, but should be directly under
61 council's control, so a subproject of council.
62
63 > - ComRel falls more into the side of organizational than technical:
64 > -- CoC issues with contributors
65
66 Given the specifically non-technical nature and the legal implications I
67 feel that this should be under foundation.
68
69 > - Recruiters have historically functioned mostly to ensure that new
70 > contributors seeking to become developers are technically sound, and
71 > to a lesser degree that they are a social fit for the distribution.
72 >
73 Given that technical knowledge is the primary focus and social secondary
74 I think this should be a subproject of council.
75
76 > So how do we improve things?
77 > 1. Move some of the groups, to the Foundation.
78 > 2. Clearly define&change their rules of group formation.
79 > 3. By accepting roles/responsibilities in these groups, a contributor
80 > MUST agree to uphold strong principles (eg, rules for employees in an
81 > organization are stricter/more-binding than those of customers, and
82 > strongly derived from federal/state laws & regulations).
83 >
84 > Anybody should be able to apply to join the groups, but their joining
85 > should be vetted by some level: The council members (possibly in
86 > collaboration with the Foundation trustees) might wish to appoint, for
87 > limited terms, group leaders and/or members. It's also possible the
88 > group leaders in themselves might have a role in suggesting new members
89 > to Council or the Foundation for approval.
92 As far as protection (liability) goes, we'd be loosing some of it (but
93 have a gain in protection 'in the works' as well)). This is my main worry.
94
95 I think a bad actor could be brought before comrel (under foundation)
96 under the normal CoC violation rules (remove privileges or in extreme
97 cases remove them entirely).
98
99 Here's how the trustees vote on things.
100
101 As a group, the Trustees each have an equal vote to decide upon issues
102 outlined in the tasks above. A majority vote (3 of 5) is required for
103 all decisions. The trustees must uphold the principles of the Gentoo
104 Foundation, its bylaws, and help to maintain a good reputation for the
105 Foundation.
106
107 For the CoC, that should primarily be created by Comrel and ratified by
108 both the Foundation (Trustees) and Council.
109
110 Now, as for dilfridge's concerns I'll try and address them here.
111
112 I think our current trustees are both active and available within
113 Gentoo. That this has not been the case in the past I hope is a thing
114 of the past.
115
116 The foundation page is accurate, NeddySeagoon is still president as
117 we've put out a call for someone willing to be president.
118
119 I do not think the Trustees need to have the same electorate as council,
120 given the Foundation's specific lack of need for devship.
123 -- Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)