From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] changing the default of ACCEPT_LICENSE in portage
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 20:19:10
1 >>>>> On Wed, 31 Jul 2013, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
2
3 > On 31/07/13 03:58 PM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 >> freedist is a really bad approximation for the complicated
5 >> situation anyway. It is known that some of the firmware is not
6 >> redistributable at all.
7
8 > I was thinking the same thing -- a separate license label for
9 > linux-firmware and kernel packages, that is -- there's over 170
10 > packages right now that have 'freedist' in their LICENSE var..
11
12 I was thinking about something along the lines of:
13
14 Firmware blobs distributed with Linux. All rights to these blobs
15 are owned by their respective copyright and patent holders.
16 Ask upstream for details on licensing and distribution terms.
17
18 And if it wasn't the kernel, I'd say that we need mirror restriction. ;-)
19
20 Ulrich