From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2018-07-29
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 17:50:19
1 >>>>> On Fri, 13 Jul 2018, Brian Dolbec wrote:
2
3 > I would like the council to put an end to the current "moving
4 > default location of portage tree" bikeshed thread by making the
5 > decision of our new defaults.
6
7 I think we should have proposal ready for vote at the council meeting,
8 because I don't expect that discussion of individual paths during the
9 meeting would lead to anything.
10
11 > This includes:
12 > - main "gentoo" ebuild tree
13 > - distfiles
14 > - packages
15
16 Trying to summarise the discussion in -dev, and in #-portage: Everyone
17 seems to agree that all of these should be somewhere under /var, and
18 possible candidates are /var/lib, /var/cache, and /var/db. Note that
19 /var/db is not specified by the FHS, but it exists in all the BSDs.
20 Also, I am disregarding suggestions like /var/gentoo or /var/portage
21 for now.
22
23 For both /var/lib and /var/cache the FHS requires a <package>
24 subdirectory. Unless we want this to be "portage", we could use
25 "package-manager" (since virtual/package-manager is a package),
26 or pretend that "pm" is an alias for it. This would lead us to the
27 following paths, respectively:
28
29 /var/lib/{package-manager,pm}/gentoo
30 /var/cache/{package-manager,pm}/distfiles
31 /var/cache/{package-manager,pm}/packages
32
33 Alternatively, we could place either the gentoo tree, or all three of
34 the above under /var/db (which doesn't follow the FHS, so no subdir
35 requirement):
36
37 /var/db/repos/gentoo
38 /var/db/distfiles
39 /var/db/packages
40
41 > - snapshot name
42
43 Simply gentoo-20180712.tar.xz instead of portage-20180712.tar.xz?
44 Or is that not specific enough?
45
46 Ulrich