From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] Special meeting [WAS: Council meeting summary for 8 May 2008]
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 15:26:05
1 On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 16:01 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sun, 18 May 2008 12:56:49 +0200
3 > Wernfried Haas <amne@g.o> wrote:
4 > > On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 12:18:49AM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > > > [..] you're locked into what's now known as GLEP 39
6 > > > until there's a global vote to replace it with something else.
7 > >
8 > > Source? I don't see anything in glep 39 that says so. So as far i
9 > > understand it glep 39 is just another glep and can be modified like
10 > > any other glep.
11 >
12 > For the zillionth time... GLEP 39 was not a GLEP. It was one of a
13 > collection of proposals (that were not GLEPs) that were voted upon by a
14 > global vote. It was then *later* made available in GLEP form by Grant
15 > for convenience, but it wasn't accepted as a GLEP.
16
17 Ok, but where is it stated that changes, or amendments can only be
18 done/approved by a global vote? As it stands now, it clearly states
19 global issues are to be decided by the council. With no conditions or
20 stipulations.
21
22 It's understood how it came about, although I was not around at the
23 time. However once it's been approved. It's not clear who has the
24 authority to enforce it. Or if/when the council is stripped of power, in
25 situations where they are being punished and/or replaced. Much less
26 which global matters, like amending a GLEP ( or what ever you want to
27 clal it ), can they directly vote and act upon. Or which ones must be
28 brought to the developer base for a vote.
29
30 Also correct me if I am wrong, but this was voted in before there was a
31 council. Thus developers had no other way, other than a meeting of TLP
32 managers to decide upon global issues. So IMHO once voted upon and a
33 council was created to decided upon global matters. Individual power has
34 been given up, and passed on from developers and TLP managers, to
35 council members. Just as we pass on power in govt to our elected
36 representatives.
37
38 > Unfortunately, it seems that people are misinterpreting this -- it
39 > might have been better to document it as 'The Council's Constitution'
40 > or somesuch...
41
42 That would have been better. Also if the GLEP went into more detail, and
43 had other provisions. Like stripping the council of their power in a
44 situation like this one. Presently till replaced, if replaced, they
45 still have full power to decide upon global issues.
48 William L. Thomson Jr.
49 amd64/Java/Trustees
50 Gentoo Foundation