From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Formally have Council oversee the Foundation 2.0
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 18:46:14
1 Alec Warner wrote:
4 > On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 10:19 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o
5 > <mailto:rich0@g.o>> wrote:
6 >
7 > On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 1:13 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
8 > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
9 > > Rich Freeman wrote:
10 > >> On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 12:35 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
11 > >> <wlt-ml@××××××.com <mailto:wlt-ml@××××××.com>> wrote:
12 > >>> On Monday, January 16, 2017 11:56:43 AM EST Rich Freeman wrote:
13 > >>>> And nobody really has a choice about whether they'll handle
14 > lawsuits.
15 > >>>> If you own property, then you better have a plan for handling
16 > >>>> lawsuits. I suspect that SPI has thought this through a bit
17 > more than
18 > >>>> we have historically.
19 > >>> The SPI is not a legal management entity. You are confusing
20 > fiscal with legal.
21 > >>>
22 > >> Again, I think you're thinking I'm saying I'm not.
23 > >>
24 > >> I'm not saying that the Gentoo Foundation should retain the legal
25 > >> services of SPI. I'm saying that they should turn over their
26 > property
27 > >> to SPI and cease to exist. At that point we don't need legal
28 > >> services, because we legally don't exist.
31 > > I have been looking at the SPI website, other than managing
32 > money and
33 > > controlling assets, SPI does not appear to do anything else
34 > management
35 > > wise. Do you have a link to the SPI website that says it does
36 > what you
37 > > claim?
38 >
39 > I don't claim that SPI does anything other than manage money or
40 > assets.
43 > >>>> In any case, the point is that if Gentoo moves under SPI then
44 > there
45 > >>>> would be no "Gentoo" to sue. "Gentoo" would be a trademark
46 > of SPI.
47 > >>>> Any copyrights on our works that are held centrally would
48 > belong to
49 > >>>> SPI. Our money would be stored in SPI bank accounts. So, if
50 > you want
51 > >>>> our stuff, you have to sue SPI.
52 > >>> Completely WRONG!
53 > >>>
54 > >>> "Project Independence
55 > >>> SPI does not own, govern or control the associated projects."
56 > >>> http://www.spi-inc.org/projects/relationship/
57 > <http://www.spi-inc.org/projects/relationship/>
58 > >> They wouldn't own the project. They would own our assets. They
59 > >> wouldn't control anything.
60 > >>
61 > >
62 > > They would own the assets but I have found nothing that says Gentoo
63 > > can't be sued still or that SPI would provide a defense for
64 > Gentoo. The
65 > > only case I can think of, if the IRS comes after Gentoo and SPI is
66 > > handling the money and paperwork. Then SPI would step in.
69 > How would somebody sue "Gentoo" when Gentoo is just a trademark of
70 > SPI? There would be no legal entity called Gentoo to sue. That's the
71 > whole point. If somebody wants to sue SPI then that becomes SPI's
72 > problem, though obviously as a project we would cooperate with them to
73 > minimize this risk.
76 > A suit against "Gentoo"
77 > aka: https://www.gentoo.org/inside-gentoo/developers/
78 >
79 > "A business partnership, a nonprofit organization, or a group of
80 > citizens can be parties in a lawsuit if the court accepts that group
81 > as representing 1 side of the dispute."
82 >
83 > But of course, IANAL ;)
84 >
85 > -A
89 > --
90 > Rich
94 That's my thinking as well. If SPI can't be sued, then Gentoo or the
95 top people still in and running Gentoo would be sued.
96
97 Let's say a dev did something that caused a lawsuit, say violated a
98 copyright or something of that nature. Why would SPI defend that when
99 SPI has no control over what the dev did? SPI basically manages the
100 money and assets. The legal council they have seems to be used to keep
101 SPI legal not the groups underneath them. If a distro, whether it is
102 Debian, Gentoo or someone else, violates someone else or breaks the law,
103 they would have to defend themselves. That's what William seems to be
104 saying and what I am reading on the SPI website.
105
106 Dale
107