From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2018-12-09
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2018 09:55:18
1 On 12/4/18 4:41 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Are you asking the Council to make a policy for security team,
3 > or to override the existing policy of security team? Because this
4 > sounds like you're implying that security team can't make up their mind.
5
6 This is indeed part of the ongoing discussion surrounding the GLEP for
7 the security team; Before anything should go to council on this we need
8 to put the the current draft up for a public discussion on the -project
9 mailing list.
12 > Also, if the Council votes 'yes', what happens next? Does security
13 > accept all stable arches? Do stable arches get demoted implicitly based
14 > on security project considerations?
15
16 The assumption would be that security needs to have a say for whenever
17 an arch is added or if requesting to remove an arch. To balance this a a
18 GLEP48-style/QA-style lead approval process is added and criteria to be
19 used for such determination is included.
20
21 Personally I don't see a problem with the status quo where security
22 supported arches is listed as part of security project's documentation,
23 and removals announced etc. The actual security implication for a lot of
24 these arches will anyways be impacted by members of the team having
25 limited knowledge of particulars, in particular when it come to auditing
26 due to difference in assembly etc, so the major arches will anyways have
27 a better foundation for being handled by the team, so security is
28 relative to what we claim to know and do.
29
30 In any case, too early for the council to do anything here.
33 Kristian Fiskerstrand
34 OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
35 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3