From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] ChangeLog generation: Edit generated Changelogs
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 14:28:40
1 On 19-09-2011 16:44:51 +0300, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > On 09/19/11 16:26, Fabian Groffen wrote:
3 > > I would prefer going this route myself. Generate all ChangeLogs
4 > > from commit messages only. This is easy to implement (POC is
5 > > running for Prefix), but has a little issue with ChangeLog being in
6 > > Manifest file. I think we should just omit it, or (better) allow
7 > > the Manifest to have multiple signed parts, such that the ebuilds,
8 > > dists and files are signed by the committing developer, and the
9 > > ChangeLog is signed by the generation process (like snapshots
10 > > are).
11 > If you generate Changelogs from commit messages then you dont need to
12 > place the to $VCS unless you want to edit them ( see below )
13
14 I can't parse/don't understand this sentence. Could you
15 explain/elaborate?
16
17 > > The council has, however, (like Markos' initial mail explained)
18 > > decided that ChangeLog entries must be updatable (e.g. corrected)
19 > > afterwards.
20 > Really? when? There is no decision on this topic yet[1](3rd bullet
21 > point). If I am wrong, please point me to the correct source. I
22 > thought this discussion is about whether we want to edit them
23 > afterwards or not. So unless we decide to edit them, we don't need
24 > ChangeLog files
25
26 Sorry, I recalled the details wrong. The effect is the same though, a
27 file needs to exist:
28
29 [quote from [1]]
30 - Vote: Retroactively change existing entries, yes or no.
31 - We will append to changelogs and retain all existing changelog
32 messages.
33 [/quote from [1]]
34
35 An additional advantage of keeping the file is that we can easily fix
36 all entries that people wrote/committed ugly and helpless messages for,
37 like "^" and so on.
40 > [1]http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20110809-summary.txt
44 Fabian Groffen
45 Gentoo on a different level