From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Require OpenPGP signatures from existing devs on new developer applications?
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2017 02:10:39
1 On Friday, January 6, 2017 11:22:28 PM EST Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 > On 01/06/2017 10:49 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
3 > > When it comes to recruiting there is quite allot. I do not think anyone
4 > > will say the recruitment process is expeditious.
5 >
6 > I can say so, becoming a dev is rather easy :)
7
8 Many would agree, but I would assume most have gone through the process of
9 becoming a Gentoo developer once maybe twice. I have had the privilege of this
10 experience at least 4 or 5 times, including when I first became a developer in
11 2006.
12
13 I am not sure anyone has attempted to return as many times as I have. I am not
14 sure anyone has gone through the recruitment process as many times as I have.
15 Which makes me pretty experienced from the outsider perspective of trying to
16 complete the process and all potential issues you can encounter. Others who do
17 it once have a very different experience, as did I in 2006.
18
19 The experience and people varied for each attempt over the years. I saw the
20 process decline from 06 till my last attempt in 2015. None were as efficient as
21 2006, drama or past aside. I voiced opposition and suggestions to improvement
22 over the years to different people. While the people have changed, the process
23 has not improved and most issues still remain.
24
25 This is not reflecting on any one person in recruiting currently. Just how
26 things have gone down over the years. I do not blame any one, I blame the
27 process more than anything.
30 William L. Thomson Jr.