From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting: Tuesday 3 April 2012, 19:00 UTC
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 00:03:56
1 On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 5:15 PM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 > - dracut: I failed to find any documentation in our handbooks.
3 >  Anyway, dracut looks like overkill for my simple usage case.
6 I dunno - dracut aims to be the ultimate generic automagic
7 plugin-supporting option, so I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. Its
8 biggest issue is that its features have overtaken the documentation,
9 and it is still pretty raw.
10
11 > So finally I ended up building my own initramfs, using information
12 > from the wiki and from forums.
13
14 I think you would have been better off with dracut, but as I've
15 blogged it isn't without its issues. I might give genkernel a shot
16 again now that it sounds like it has better handling of
17 md/lvm/bind/etc. If it can figure out my setup then I'll be
18 impressed.
19
20 My biggest issue with dracut is that for whatever reason it doesn't
21 detect and assemble my raid. I ended up hacking together a module to
22 force it to run:
23 mdadm -As
24 lvm pvscan
25 lvm vgscan
26 lvm lvscan
27 lvm vgchange -ay
28
29 I just can't get how if that works how the automagic functionality in
30 the script can't work. The part that fails is mdadm bit, and it works
31 fine on full-auto mode (though it does have my mdadm.conf to look at).
32 Even the kernel auto-assembles the raid fine, though that code is
33 disabled if you use an initramfs.
36 > IMHO this has to be done before >=udev-180 can be stabilised.
39 I agree completely. The current documentation is too weak for stabilization.
40
41 Rich