From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting: Tuesday 3 April 2012, 19:00 UTC
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 00:03:56
On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 5:15 PM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
> - dracut: I failed to find any documentation in our handbooks. >  Anyway, dracut looks like overkill for my simple usage case. >
I dunno - dracut aims to be the ultimate generic automagic plugin-supporting option, so I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. Its biggest issue is that its features have overtaken the documentation, and it is still pretty raw.
> So finally I ended up building my own initramfs, using information > from the wiki and from forums.
I think you would have been better off with dracut, but as I've blogged it isn't without its issues. I might give genkernel a shot again now that it sounds like it has better handling of md/lvm/bind/etc. If it can figure out my setup then I'll be impressed. My biggest issue with dracut is that for whatever reason it doesn't detect and assemble my raid. I ended up hacking together a module to force it to run: mdadm -As lvm pvscan lvm vgscan lvm lvscan lvm vgchange -ay I just can't get how if that works how the automagic functionality in the script can't work. The part that fails is mdadm bit, and it works fine on full-auto mode (though it does have my mdadm.conf to look at). Even the kernel auto-assembles the raid fine, though that code is disabled if you use an initramfs.
> > IMHO this has to be done before >=udev-180 can be stabilised. >
I agree completely. The current documentation is too weak for stabilization. Rich

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting: Tuesday 3 April 2012, 19:00 UTC Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>