From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council manifest for Kristian Fiskerstrand (K_F)
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 07:55:57
2 Hash: SHA512
3
4 Dear all,
5
6 The following is my manifest for the Gentoo council election:
7
8 I live in Oslo, Norway where I'm working in Finance. I have a wide
9 variety of hobbies, most notably a number related to computers, in
10 particular a strong interest in computer security; most focused on
11 OpenPGP, in which I run the sks-keyservers.net pool of keyservers, and
12 am one of the upstream developers of the synchronizing keyserver (SKS).
13
14 Although having been a Gentoo user for more than a decade, I didn't take
15 the step to become a gentoo developer until 2014, when I realized it was
16 easier than doing everything through proxy maintainers and decided to
17 dedicate even more of my time to the project.
18
19 For Gentoo I'm focusing on improving security; both when it comes to
20 our distributed packages (through participating in the Security team)
21 and overall infrastructure and method of distribution (helping out gkeys
22 with OpenPGP matters). Given my focus I naturally also contribute to the
23 crypto team for the related packages (gnupg, libgcrypt &c)[1]
24
25 As I'm running a decent number of Gentoo instances (spanning across both
26 desktop and server environments) I also like to see upgrade paths and
27 the overall user experience for the stable tree being in a good state,
28 including large scale rollouts on servers, i.e. if possible sane
29 defaults should be selected by the package maintainers[2] and the need
30 for sporadic manual interaction should be reduced to a minimum.
31
32 In terms of philosophy I prefer the modular approach of the UNIX
33 philosophy, in particular since this makes auditing the behavior of the
34 components more straight-forward.
35
36 Please don't hesitate to ask any question or opinions.
37
38 Best regards,
39 Kristian (K_F)
40
41 Current projects and herds:
42 Gentoo Linux Security Audit Project (Member)
43 Gentoo Keys (Member)
44 Gentoo Public Relations Project (GMN)
45 Gentoo Security Project (GLSA Coordinator)
46
47 Notes:
48 [1] short term I would very much like to see libgcrypt 1.6 going stable
49 to ensure that we don't end up with (EC)DSA leakage of private keys
50 through an improperly seeded entropy for the k variable (solved through
51 deterministic k as described in RFC6979) as well as a few side-channel
52 attacks being a thing of the past.
53
54 [2] security > optional features in making such decisions