From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Shutting down the Off the Wall (was: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items ...)
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 15:15:54
1 Hi,
2
3 On 2020-12-12 08:34, desultory wrote:
4 > Asking for the council to actually state the problem at hand as it sees
5 > it seems to be an entirely reasonable thing to do, especially given how
6 > long it has gone without doing so.
7
8 It is difficult for me to believe that those involved in this four-week
9 discussion did not understand what it was actually about and then did
10 not even ask specifically about it themselves.
11
12 But anyway, like said in my initial email, let's forget about the past
13 and let's focus on a solution.
14
15 Nobody says that forum staff is doing a bad job in general but OTW
16 section was often handled like an autonomous zone which we are going to
17 end. Hopefully together. But let me be clear on this: The Gentoo
18 community will definitely find a solution for this problem. Maybe we
19 will grant you time until end of January in case you will tell us that
20 forums software will finally get upgraded in January and that the new
21 software will play an important role (i.e. warning system, new/easier
22 moderation tools, better reporting system...). For such a concession,
23 however, it would be important to get clear signals from the forum team
24 that they understand what needs to be changed and are willing to solve
25 the problem together.
26
27 I am sure you can. Please join the process!
28
29 Again some guidelines which should be addressed in the proposal/concept:
30
31 1) Clear statement/commitment that forums staff intends to enforce
32 Gentoo's code of conduct in forum like any other project. This shouldn't
33 be a big deal for you but it will help us to understand that we are all
34 on the same page.
35
36 2) We don't expect that forum staff will read every posting but if
37 forums staff will even quote insults and join 'the discussion', we would
38 consider this problematic because we expect that any community member
39 will step in if he/she will observe a code of conduct violation in
40 general and make everyone see reason (notice: this doesn't imply 'block
41 warden' mentality).
42
43 3) Implement a reporting system which will protect the reporter.
44
45 4) Tell us how you plan to address some inconsistency. For example, this
46 is not the first time that the user in question has posted such an
47 insult. The user was banned for similar postings back in 2016. We would
48 expect that such a misbehaving user who has shown in the past that they
49 disregard Gentoo values, would have been removed from the community long
50 time ago.
51
52 5) Remove bad content. If someone posted an insult and we took action,
53 don't forget to remove the offending content (soft delete entire posting
54 or remove offending paragraph).
55
56 6) Just a reminder: You are not alone at the front. If forum staff is
57 unsure about certain postings, please ask for help. We have projects to
58 deal with things like that and they are happy to assist you.
62 Regards,
63 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
64 C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature